Thursday, July 31, 2008

take your pick...

Blog title ideas and their summaries for the day: (aka, not enough of a 'umph' for their very own blog)

the sleepover and other meanderings Tonight Abs and Bell are having sleepovers.  My friend and I are trading a kid for a kid.  Abs is out and on her way to a fun night away. And then we're heading out to the Zoo.  I am looking forward to it and I know you'll be expecting pictures!

the ebb and flow This week has been so relax compared to last week.  It's always funny to me how it is either crazy busy or sorta boring.  I have been having one of those sorta boring weeks. 

ideas and the follow through So many ideas circle around and circle and circle.  Waiting for the right time when the ideas will be turned into something more than mist floating through my mind.. Better make some time to follow through or they will vanish into the air. (Do you ever get a great idea, then forget about it completely? I hate that.)

crazy emma and old navy  We went back to school shopping a little yesterday.  The girls tried on a bunch of clothes and got some new stuff for school.  Abigail picked out some skinny jeans (not my personal favorite, but she loves them) and Bell thought they weren't that cute (actually they did look really cute on Abs).  And Bell...  She dislikes all pants.  Like, gets all irritated when she tries them on.  We finally found a couple of super cute dresses that she loved.  It was really fun going back to school shopping for the first time, even though by the end... let's just say, Emma was falling asleep on the way home.  So imagine her in the store.  And if you know Emma.... oh my.

the magazine  I love my monthly subscription to Vegetarian Times.  There is always so much good info and great vegetarian recipes that even my kids love.  This month they have a recipe for vegan cookies and brownies.  I can't wait to try them out.  (No eggs = less cholesterol & fat!!)  Also, they always have a section called "Carrots and Sticks" where they give kudos  ('carrots') to environmentally friendly companies and 'sticks' to ones not so good.  Last month sticks went to a beet sugar company in Canada (which, by the way... I thought all sugar was made from sugar cane?  Not the case! Unless your package says, it may be made from beets!) who uses genetically-engineered-to-be-round up-tolerant beet plants.  So, basically most sugar, unless organic, was been genetically engineered.  Kinda gross.  Anyway, wow, I really went off on that!  I didn't even mean to.  It is interesting, though, isn't it?? ANYWAY!  They had a really great article this month about why organic? ...and the produce that really should be bought organic... and the ones that it's probably OK not to.  Interesting.

my friend's yard I have been watering a friend's yard all week.  And her yard is not just a yard.  It is a paradise.  I love going there, my girls LOVE going there.  I am so impressed with all of her hard work and patience.  The yard was a barren place just a few short years ago.  I remember it.  And now, it is full of vibrant growth.  I even harvest enough berries to make some delicious muffins, lettuce for some salad, and snap peas from her garden.  And it is amazing to see how much growth can happen in such a short time under the right conditions, with the right care.  I love it. 

the blue house My friend's blue house.  I need to get a picture so you can see it's beauty.  I am excited about my new friend... and her organic farm.  And helping out at her little classroom this coming year.  And those little Hispanic sweethearts I get to love.

3 comments:

Abby K said...

Hey, there, we're just getting ready for the big trip at our house...FUN! I'm having trouble with my blog sign-in, so I'm practicing.

Abby K said...

Oh, and another thing, I'm sad to miss the zoo tomorrow, but have a blast, and yes, I want to see pictures...

Maica Kozak said...

Vegetarian Times looks very interesting. I have also been finding really great vegetarian recipes and reading about organic, local, sustainable options. I'd be interested to hear what that magazine had to say. Do you know that I can't find grape leaves ANYWHERE. NO WHERE. I have the filling but NO GRAPE LEAVES! Where do you buy yours?