Saturday, July 12, 2008

the Barn

This week Friday we went with some friends to the Avila Valley Barn for some summer fun.  We fed animals and picked berries.  I always love going fruit picking at the Barn.  Sweet breeze, the aroma of fresh berries, the peaceful quiet.  For a moment I felt the world slip back to simple times.
This "peafowl" is fanning it's train.... apparently to get the attention of the peacock it was courting, according to wikipedia.
Emma got an "owie" that she got a ton of sympathy for from Michael and Caleb.  It was so debilitating that she had to ride in the stroller the whole rest of the time, aside from the occasional daring step to the berry bush.  
Bella was ready for the harvest.  After picking raspberries, on our way to get some Olallieberries, we passed a corn field.  And before I could tell them not to, they were picking corn!  It was so precious that I couldn't even get upset. Even though corn is NOT one of the U-Picks at this farm, it was so incredibly sweet to me that they were ready to gather the crops.  When I tried to pay, the check out girl said "Did you pick these?  Because that is not really allowed."  Yes, I know.  I know.
Bella and her friend Katie taking a breather in the rows of berries.
Abigail gets the gold star for berry picking.  She picked so many and did not want to stop.  When we got home we took the berries she picked with her sweet little hands and made a pie.  She mixed the dough and rolled it out.  All with her sweet little hands.  And then she wanted to decorate the top with an "A" and a heart and a flower.  And although the "martha" side of me wanted to decline and instead make a picture perfect pie with a lattice top, the mom in me got the better.  So, and A and an I and a flower and a heart it was.  And she was happy, which was definitely worth the lack-of-cuteness.  And it will still be cute on the plate with a little vanilla ice cream. Yummy!

1 comment:

Angela said...

You got a better picture of the peacock that I did. So fun!!! Glad I got to go. =^)