Monday, December 22, 2008

random memories

Do you ever just remember something you haven't thought about in years?  Then all of a sudden, it is there... in your mind for no apparent reason?  Like you forgot all about it... then remembered?  That happened to me today.  Not a life altering memory.  Just a random one that I forgot about.  Curious?

When I was little, this sweet old couple used to pick me up and take me to church.  They'd come for me every Sunday I wanted until I was in about, 6th grade, I think.  5th or 6th.  One of them.  Anyway.  And I used to go to their house to swim in their pool, or spend the night or play with their grandkids.  I even went to Michigan with them once.  Of course, I lived in Ohio then, so it's not as grand as you might be thinking.  Anyhow, I randomly remembered today that he had a workshop.  It was like a wood working workshop, I am not sure what he made.  But there were saws and tools and power tools which we weren't allowed to touch.  But we could touch the scrap pile.  And the hammer and nails.  So I remember making creations in that saw-dust-filled place time and again.  Mostly just planks of wood nailed together in a pile, but it was fun.  Really, really fun.  Random Memory.

Which brings back other memories of that house:  The window from the attic to the attic hall that served as a secret message center.  The bitter taste of cereal after orange juice in the morning (random!).  The time I tried to snorkel under water in the pool because I didn't want my mom to see me and take me home... but I went too deep and breathed in a lung full of water.  Their giant backyard and the pond where we used to find frogs and tadpoles.  All of the Christmas cookies in tins on the buffet- I never felt bold enough to search through them looking for the good cookies. And I remember the ear-hair trimming of the Mr. at the table in the kitchen. (Old people are so funny!)  I remember being the lunch helper in Kindergarten (that's how we met) and she was the lunch lady at the church nursery school.  

The good ole church nursery school.  That brings back even more memories! Those giant waffle-like blocks they had which we used to build houses and giant castles and forts. (thinking back, they probably aren't as giant as I had imagined then!! Even so, I can still see their scratched up corners of thick plastic blocks and snapping them together, it seemed as though we were building all the way up to the ceiling because we were so high!)  ...The cots for napping, and the cards the workers used to play while they watched us.  I remember them letting me play with them a few times... Of running through the dark halls under the sanctuary where we used to play hide and seek- and the loud clicky footprints of Bill the Janitor- the keeper of the "No-running-in-the-house-of-God rule".  We were scared of that man. And Pastor Airheart and his wife's giant yellow hair.  And of being in the Christmas play, saying the lines and singing the songs. It's sacred, isn't it?  Childhood memories... so randomly!

Years later I met some church friends who lived in their old house.  I visited there and snooped around.  It wasn't quite the same, add-ons and re-dos.  I wonder where those people are now. I did see those pastors a while back.  Walking through the mall in Akron.  I wanted to stop them and tell them their investment payed off.  That they made a difference to that little girl they picked up each week for Sunday school.  But I was working and they were walking fast (and she had the same big yellow hair).  I guess we'll save it for heaven!

3 comments:

Abby K said...

AWWWWW....amazing and so inspiring. I'm so happy that "Little Ann" had Jesus watching our for her so that she had someone like that to take her to Church. It's funny because I can see you as a little girl, just loving that "scrap pile" and thinking it was heaven to be able to create from the scrap pile...I love it!!!!!

Ma and Pa Moore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ma and Pa Moore said...

You should write a book - you are so good with words!
And thank you for bringing back memories to me! I loved going to Sunday School. Aunt Susie played piano - singing was my favorite part and the music leader was SO pretty and had a beautiful voice, Mrs. Culler was her name. A close second was the sand box - it was full of fine white sand and I thought it was just so cool that there was a sandbox indoors. AND the scripture memorizing contests! Well, I don't think they were really a contest, but we made it a contest! :-) Boys against girls....OF COURSE!!!! I'm sure you can guess who won!