Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gingerbread, part 1.

I decided that today we would make a Gingerbread House.  Not from a kit, because I personally think it is actually easier to make my own- no fumbling with dry icing or cracked-hard cookie.  Despite that I haven't made the gingerbread or the plans and it is already mi-afternoon is not stopping me.  I am sure we can get it going in a bit here and be ready to decorate at least after dinner.  So, I decided to go and get some ideas for the plan on the Internet (which, of course, led to a blog... and still no dough!).  So, I don't think ours will measure up to these fancy houses, in fact I am sure it will pale in comparison.  Ah, well.... 


Above is at the Mall of America.  This is the largest gingerbread house in the world.  See all those little people?  They are real ;)

This tiny one is at Disneyland, and is actually very big.  Hmm.  Must've gotten a small file.
This one is the winner of the national Gingerbread House making contest from 2 years ago.  Pretty fun.
Here is the White House's gingerbread house.  Their theme is "A red, white and blue Christmas".  Is that original?  I am not sure.
And this last one is the "Eco-friendly, sustainable Gingerbread House", complete with solar panels and rainwater harvest tank.

So... me and the kids will probably be making the simple, Hansel and Gretel-ish House with sloppy dripping icing and candy wherever there is room for it.  Unless Bella sees this and starts making a fancy plan for something else!



1 comment:

Ma and Pa Moore said...

Ahhhh....more memories. Does Todd remember making Gingerbread Houses? Although, if he does he remembers ours coming from a box - I'm sure! One year it turned out so cute I put it in the freezer for the entire year and set it out the next Christmas. Can't believe I did that! We never ate them, no doubt because they came from a box and weren't so tastey. :(
Yours will be cute and yummy! :)