Tuesday, August 5, 2008

camp stoves and coffee

We are getting ready to go camping.  We did the browse-through-the-camping-aisle at all the close by stores.  Whenever we go camping we get like one thing we'll need... and then borrow the rest... until eventually we'll have all the supplies necessary for our just-a-couple-times-a-year camping trips.  It is so fun.  This time, we finally got our very own camping stove.  It is so exciting!  Now I can count on the fact that, if I bring my kettle, which I will, I will have delicious french press coffee each morning.  And I will be able to heat the water to wash dishes in our washtub we also purchased for this trip.  Not to mention, now we can eat.  That is secondary to the delicious french press coffee!!  

The girls are so so excited about campfires, smores, fishing, sleeping in the tent, and wearing life jackets.  Now I just have to plan out our meals, which I am having a hard time with.  I want to just wing it, but I have a feeling that could be a stressful bad idea.  So, I am trying to find some somewhat easy but really yummy camp meals.  So far, my ideas consist of some kind of potato, beef kabobs, and some kind of chicken.  I am thinking I better plan it out a little better than that!!  Anyone have anything amazing that I should try??  I am up for suggestions!  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

just jealous that you are going camping. Totally. I LOVE camping. have a great time!

Lalena said...

Go with the easy stuff!

Hot dogs, chili, even spaghetti. PB & J is great for lunch and we always used the “just add water” pancake mix for breakfast. Super easy. And of course, tons of fresh summer fruit!

How fun!!!

Mandi! said...

Lucky! That is going to be such a blast! (I look forward to all kinds of fun pics!)

Anonymous said...

Have fun you guys!! We love fajitas when we camp. It's SO easy and tastes so yummy in the great outdoors. The peppers and onions grilled with the chx. Yum. Yum. BTW - thx for the taco. It hit the spot:)

Stephanie Appleton said...

We try to do as much as possible that we can make ahead and just heat up there. Soft tacos or burritos are always good. Cook and freeze the meat and chop up all the fixing at home, easy! We also do a lot of salads and fruit. Have a great trip!

Maica Kozak said...

ah man! i wish i had checked your blog earlier. i've got one good one - you basically just put onion and beans and canned corn and tomato and probably other stuff in the pot and let it simmer for a long time. make some corn bread too! have you ever used dutch ovens? have you seen them stacked so many high? isn't that crazy?