Friday, August 29, 2008

the blank stare

I volunteered for the first time yesterday at the school.  I have to give a lot of credit to all the teachers out there.  Everyday!!  Wow!  And because most of the kids in Ab's class speak Spanish, the blank stare I refer to is my own.  Little Giselle would say something to me... and I did the blank stare.  Can you say it in English?  I say.  Head nods back and forth, no.  Little Admari asks me something... blank stare again.  English?  I say?  and smile.  She just does the blank stare back.  I knew this was the demographic when we enrolled the kids.  And I don't even mind.  It only makes me appreciate these teachers more.  They are facing even more of a challenge!  A challenge for teaching not only the class, but the language.  And it makes me wonder what a normal American classroom might be like.... just trying to get the kids to behave and get used to being in a classroom when they all speak English!  That seems like a big job in and of itself!  But they are very patient and kind, and appreciate the role they are in.  To be a stable, good role model for these hard working families.  I am even more amazed.  

And I am determined to LEARN the LANGUAGE!  So far I've done about 4 lessons from this great website my friend referred me to.  Esta es una flor.  This is one flower.  Estas son las flores.  These are flowers.  Las Flores no son amarillo.  The flowers are not yellow.  Las Flores son de color azul.  The flowers are blue.  Wow, that makes good conversation :)  and it is a start!

And it is Friday!  And Monday is a holiday!  Yay!!

2 comments:

Abby K said...

Wow, that is a lot of espanol for only 4 lessons...I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

yee-haw! study group, amiga?