Monday, June 30, 2008

more random

Here is something random.  Emma has become a "backseat driver".  She sits behind the passenger seat, so she has a great view of both me and the road.  Yesterday she started telling me how I need to hold the steering wheel.  "Like this mom!" (With hand at 10 and 2)  "No, mom.  Like this"  She says.  "Like this?"  I say, accommodating her.  "Yep"  She says.  "No", she says next.  "Do it like this" (Hands at something like 5 and 7) "Like this mom, LIKE THIS"  And on it goes.  Which, for some reason, made me more aware of steering wheel hand positions.  I thought it would be fun (OK, a scary glimpse into my brain, here, be warned) to do a mini-survey to see how most people place their hands.  So, on my way to a friend's, I began to notice that MOST people have one hand on TOP of the steering wheel.  There were the few people who had the standard 10-2, and some had no visible hands at all- which I am assuming meant that they were like me, and are most comfortable at maybe 5ish and 7ish.  Then, there was ONE guy who had is RIGHT arm all the way over on the LEFT side of the wheel, while the LEFT arm was hanging out the window.  Needless to say, I tried all of the hand stances to see if they were comfortable.  Most were not- especially the most common hand at the top of the steering wheel.  SO UNcomfortable!  Why do people do that?  I am crazy, this I realize.  It is the randomness of a drive across town.  That would make a funny blog, I thought.

Random thing number two.  Scrapers.  They are amazing tools.  Yes, they scrape off paint.  But they do so much more!  Gunk, stickers, dried jelly splotches.  I was washing my kitchen floor yesterday with the scraper in one hand and rag in the other.  It made the job go so much faster.  (No, I don't use a mop... too much extra work)  And while I was doing it, I thought- this could be a good blog.  Because it saves your fingernails.  Because does anyone else ever use their fingernails to scrape up stuff?  Or is that just gross?  Because it sounds kind of gross now that I am typing it.  Thank God for scrapers.

Random thing number three.  The kids collected ants in their wagon the other day.  And they fed them cake. Cake. There were hundreds of ants.  "Isn't it cool" they asked, happily enjoying their new pets.  Not as pleased, I answer "Just, please don't bring it near the house" and "Please, guys, no more food for the ants".  How could I NOT blog about that?






5 comments:

Milk and Honey said...

Somehow it is so fitting that Emma would be the backseat driver! Also, it makes sense that you wouldn't mop--you don't have that much floor to have to mop. But what was wrong with feeding the ants? :)

Mandi! said...

I find it most comfortable w/ left hand on "9" or "10" and right hand on stick shift. Habits. They have a mind of their own:)

Leah said...

Interesting, I typically start out at 10 and 2 but then drive with both hands down near 6 and then bring one up to 12 if I am turning...on an automatic or stick. :-) Fascinating blog subject!!

Lalena said...

~I'm a 10 and 2 sort a gal
~cant live without scrapers
~and now I need cake
:)
Happy Wednesday to you!

Ma and Pa Moore said...

Just to join the survey - I'm close to Leah. Usually both hands at 6 - until I need more control then I think I turn into a 10-2 person.