Wednesday, December 27, 2006

the jdc...

On Christmas Eve, I joined some others from our church at the Juvenile Detention Center. The church-goers had all given- cards and money for 100 kids locked up for Christmas (and the staff) to have a treat on Christmas Eve. So off to McDonald's we went to organize 100 some value meals and deliver them the the JDC, unit by unit.

Our church gave- over 800 dollars. McDonald's on Fesler made meals- over 100. (Other MD's said no way) And some bad kids received an act of kindness and love- maybe the one that made a difference. In every meal, each giver wrote a message of hope to these delinquents. Someone loves you.

Now, I must admit, I was not looking forward to going. Todd was supposed to do it, but then had to be somewhere else. And I knew the girls would rather spend some quality time with Dad instead of yet another day with just me. So I elected to go, I made myself say 'yes'. And of course, I was glad I did.

As I found the soda, handed it off, someone else found the meal. Ketchup, Sweet and Sour or BBQ. Don't forget the straw. The guards yelled. We were startled. It was like a jail.

And it warmed my heart. It wasn't that the kids reacted thankfully. They were happy in a mischievous sort of way. It was just that we gave. 'Tis better to give, they say. And I know it is true. Getting always leaves you wanting more. Giving touches something much deeper. It was just some McDonald's to some troubled kids. But Jesus did say we honor Him when we give to the least of these.

So I was thankful for the people who thought up this idea. For Todd who made me go. And the girls were also blessed because they got to hear all about it. They wanted to go and help too. Giving inspires giving. Kindness inspires kindness. What an amazing gift that is!

1 comment:

Ma and Pa Moore said...

That is so good that you did that - and taking the girls to ring the bell for the Salvation Army - most people don't make the time to do those things.