Wednesday, April 15, 2009

life journal online



1 Samuel 17

David and Goliath
 1 Now the Philistines gathered their forces for war and assembled at Socoh in Judah. They pitched camp at Ephes Dammim, between Socoh and Azekah2 Saul and the Israelites assembled and camped in the Valley of Elah and drew up their battle line to meet the Philistines. 3 The Philistines occupied one hill and the Israelites another, with the valley between them.

This little excerpt is from my reading today from the life journal online.  (I love that it's online and I can just sit here at my computer with my coffee and read the Bible for the day!)

Anyway.  This is the first sentence of the passage of the "David and Goliath" story.  I can't get past the locations.  The names remind me of places from "Lord of the Rings" or "Narnia" (I know the authors of those books were bible scholars...).  It is crazy to me that it is so very detailed and particular.  It makes me want to find some ancient map and pinpoint the exact location.  To visual exactly how the armies were lined up when this story took place- an imaginary painting in my head of the battle lines.  I am sure it makes a difference that Socoh was in Judah and that the Philistines camped half way between.  I think there is so much to miss in this simple passage- so much more to learn from the details!!

I want to see it.  I want to see a photograph of the modern location- and imagine the ancient armies out there in all of their glory.

So off I go to Blue Letter Bible and Google search.  I mean, someone knows, right?  Or at least think they know?  And Yes!  They do!  The top photo is the Elah Valley, where the battle happened.  The middle is the brook where David probably found his stones.  The bottom is the view the Philistines might've had as they made camp at "Ephes Dammim".  Crazy, isn't it? Just crazy!!

And I can see it.  For 40 days and nights... big 'ol Goliath with his 125 pound armor on.... yelling and taunting the Israelites on those long days!  In the middle of that Valley!  All of the Israelites hiding for fear.  Until little David comes with the heart of a warrior and full trust in God!  And not with heavy armor, but picking up stones on his way- doing what he knew, what he practiced tending his sheep!  And he defeats the giant with a stone from that creek.  David with his sling shot against the 15 pound end of the spear that Goliath held with ease!  

The story comes alive for me when I can see it- picture it not in childhood cartoon notions, but in the real!  I love that I can just google it!!  ...And now you've seen the nerdy part of me!!  I love maps!  And the tangibles.  It is so interesting to me!

2 comments:

Mandi! said...

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

kirsten said...

very cool! i had some of these moments when i went to israel. i should post about it sometime. like when i went tubing in the jordan river. crazy!