Friday, January 16, 2009

andrew wyeth

"Christina's World" by Andrew Wyeth


I read today that this painter died in his sleep last night.  Andrew Wyeth.  I think he was actually one of my favorite painters, I love the realism and the faded-like colors in his paintings.  They seem aged and still.  Peaceful, yet full of something coming.  Like an unseen hope.  

I read today that in the past, he was given poor reviews by the critics: he is not an artist, they said- just an illustrator.  I don't think they were accurate.  I can see  more than just a simple illustration in his work.  But I love realism, so maybe it's just me. And he used tempra paint because it dries matte instead of oil which dries glossy... which, to me is just great.

I remember that my Aunt had this print above her sofa in her house on the hill.  As a kid, I used to stare at that painting and get lost in it.  I'd study the blades of grass and the bend of the road.  I'd make up stories about the girl and try to imagine what the inside of the house looked like. It was one of my favorite memories of Christmas-s and Thanksgivings... and when I was in college, doing in-classroom art lessons, the kids did the same.  And now I have the print hanging in my bedroom, and my kids ask me all about her.  And it is a part of me.

So, Andrew Wyeth has passed on and I wonder if he will be more appreciated in history as most artist are.  Peace to his family... comfort and peace.

2 comments:

Lalena said...

This is beautiful.

I love the way she is laying and looking back to the house.

It stirs the imagination.

Anonymous said...

I love matte instead of glossy. I also love you, and your love of art.