Saturday, September 6, 2008

What has Bush done: Energy

In thinking about the candidates and their stances on the issues, I thought it might be good to check out what is actually being done NOW.  And as we all know, it takes some looking to find out what Bush has done, because the media is NOT on his side. 

As I was researching (aka googling), I noticed that both Obama and McCain's plans are actually mainly the positions of their parties, which could explain part of the reason not much is being done.  Because Congress can't come to an agreement.  And when it does, Bush has the power of veto.  (Which he has used 12 times, the lowest in 200 years- but not on anything energy related as I know of, and again, correct me if I am wrong).  And then, Congress has a power to override the President's veto, but it has to be almost unanimous (2/3, I think).

So... What have Bush & Congress done about high gas prices and dependency on foreign oil and the development of clean, renewable energy?

He asked congress to lift the ban on offshore and restricted drilling (which could produce 18 billion barrels of oil) and oil exploration in unexplored areas.  Congress has not responded. He introduced a plan to congress requiring a 20% fuel efficiency by 2010 and a higher fuel economy standard by 2020. (So that as Americans we use less fuel- this would reduce our usage by 40%) Proposed a carbon-emission standard. He has given  3.5  billion annually for green technology and biofuel funding for research and development.  




6 comments:

Ma and Pa Moore said...

Okay - this is really interesting - just like a history lesson! I love it!

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
annie said...

Regarding the question of presidential vetoes and the work of Congress:

...And correct me if I am wrong... Bush has actually only used his veto 12 times. The LEAST amount of vetoes used in 200 years. FDR had over 600. Kennedy had 21. Clinton had 37. And Bush? 12. And they are listed here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_vetoes

...and none have anything to do with energy as far as I can tell. They are mostly stem cell research, iraq stuff... and a couple of others. If I am wrong, let me know.