Monday, September 22, 2008

and then there's Monday.

Mondays.  Are a little different from Fridays.  

I start the week off with a bang by helping in Ab's class each week.  Her teacher said Mondays would the best day for me to help because that is when the kids are the craziest- and it helps to get them all settled into the routine on Monday, so the rest of the week goes smooth.  And just to have an extra body in the classroom helps, apparently.  So, off to the class I go, to be an extra body.  

So it is early to rise for all of us.  Me and Abs and Bell hop in the van around 7:20 each Monday and head off to school together.  (Thanks to Eva, who starts her week off with an equally shocking bang- babysitting Em and Eve while we're all at school!)

I like being able to go to the school.  To see what they are experiencing.  To see them in action.  I love it.  I love watching Abi soar at the top of her little Kinder class.  She finishes her work way before the others, even when it is more challenging.  I love watching her try and help all the other kids and even when she is so frustrated because they just don't get it.   I love going into Bell's class and seeing her at her little desk with her own space.  Seeing her with those "really weird (they SO weird) and annoying" boys.  She says "Mom, why do they always want to get in trouble?  They are SO WEIRD!" And seeing her teacher interact with her... 

And I like going into the cafeteria and helping sweet Alexis and Angel with their milk cartons and sporks- and imagining what kind of boys they'll be like in high school, all tough and cool.  And watching the Elizabeth and Giselle giggle because I can't speak Spanish- and whispering secrets with huge smiles. Watching Abs eat everything she gets from her school lunch, including the peas and loving every bite. And finding Bella from across the room, she blows me a kiss and smiles while all of her friends wave hello too.  It is all so surreal to me that these girls, my girls, are doing this... this school thing.  This growing up thing.  And it makes me want to take in every moment, every smile, each hug and kiss, and each little hand squeeze... and freeze it in time.  Because I know. I know soon they will be grown.  And new experiences await us... But for now... I am treasuring these new experiences. 

So Mondays.  They jump start our week, and I am tired.  But, it is so worth it.

And now it is officially Tuesday.

No comments: