Thursday, January 24, 2008

adventure



Today (and all week long, as a matter of fact) it has been raining buckets on the Central Coast. And...about 45 minutes away there is a high mountain where it has been SNOWING!!! Yes, SNOWING! So, today I decided to go and find it. (You knew I would!)


We began our scenic drive down Foxen Canyon Rd and it was beautiful- the sun came shining out (this is Cali, so the sun HAS to make a big appearance each day....not that I am complaining....too much) and made at least a dozen various rainbows to the east over the hills. We were so excited! Rainbow after rainbow....rainbow on top of rainbow. We came around one curve, with the rain still gently falling- and it opened to the bottom arch of a giant rainbow, along with a family of deer crossing the road. It was a really amazing moment that I am not giving justice!!!! It literally took my breath away. I had to pull over and take it all in....and get the camera ready in hopes something half as amazing would appear. As you can see (sort of, anyway, from the pic) we found the end of the rainbow- and were tempted to go look for the pot of gold!!


As for our main objective of finding the snow, well, sadly, we only saw it from a distance. The mountain road was closed and I was not brave enough (I am sensible!!) to go past the obviously-frequently-passed "Road Closed" sign. I guess the road was somewhat safe because I saw many people sledding down the hills of Figueroa Mountain on the news tonight! BUT....it was very cool to see, even from a distance, the snow covered hill top- and even the very white cloud above, testifying that there actually was snow falling down somewhere! It does say in the Proverbs "the coolness of snow...refreshes the spirit". OK, so I am leaving a few words out....even so, the text evokes the meaning. ;)

3 comments:

Mandi! said...

That is hilarious! We were itching to go up Figueroa Mtn but heard the road was closed...all the fun taken away! Love Foxen Canyon Rd...

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful rainbow!

Maica Kozak said...

wow. that is really beautiful.