Sunday, April 22, 2007

my lemon tree

"LIFE!!" That was my exclamation today as I was examining my lemon tree in the backyard. Over the winter, with the all the cold, all the leaves and branches had withered and browned. I cut it all back with the hope that they would grow again, but ever since then they've just gotten even more dry and brown. (...The leaves on the oak tree, hold on for the winter, they're brown and they're withered and they clatter together....my OtR obsession, I digress) ANYWAY! I've been so sad about this, too, because my lemon tree was a gift from my first real California friend, and for some reason I fell in love with this little tree. And it has been through so much with me- and it has grown, it bore fruit, it was badly damaged and made a beautiful come back. So, that it was dead made me really, really sad. In fact, I think I was in denial, because I had yet to get rid of it. I had lately been thinking I should tear it out of the pot and replant something in it's place. I just haven't had the heart. (I know, it is just a lemon tree, believe me!) And then today I saw them! The tiny little green growths sprouting out from the side of the trunk! "LIFE!" I exclaimed (and loudly)! And the girls came running over to see. About 3 or 4 tiny little new branches growing. And I almost started crying with happiness, even though it seems a little silly. But it is alive!! I thought it was dead! And now it is alive!

Such joy from a little tree. And because I am me, I search for a deeper message, a deeper meaning. I didn't need to look far. Isn't that what God has done for me, for us? Taken what is utterly hopeless and caused something beautiful to grow right there? Taken what looks dead, only to bring forth HIS life. Amazing. Taken that which has overcome into yet another battle and overcome again. Yes, from the lemon tree in my yard. ;)

1 comment:

Leah said...

that is really cool Sis. you should take a picture of the lemon tree and put it up for us to see.